Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Utah: Part II


Utah: Part II
Originally uploaded by klycolllins.
Rachelle and I went to Salt Lake City a couple weekends ago to help my dad and his wife move to their new house.  Regardless of what you think of the bizarre liquor laws in Utah (I happen to think they're complete crap, but more on that later), the place is beautiful.  We got so much done on Friday (before Rachelle arrived) that we decided to take the scenic drive up to Sundance on Saturday.  We went from the nice, warm, sunny weather in the valley to the nice, warm, sunny weather in the mountains.  The only difference seemed to be the snow.  And the avalanche warnings.  Skiing is definitely over for the season, but there was still enough snow on the slopes to get a good idea of what it looks like in season.  What it looks like is "SCARY".  I prefer my ski slopes with a much more gradual grade.  Much, much more gradual.  Like a parking lot. The steep hills are a little scary when they're covered with snow, but I'm willing to hike a good ways for a decent picture. Rachelle, Dad and Sheila stayed safely below while I hiked up to Bridal Falls. Probably a good call. Toasty warm and a long way down if I slipped. Sadly, the one thing running through my mind as I'm picking my way carefully down the hill was, "Man, I hope I don't fall and wreck my Treo".

Getting back to the strange liquor laws, the one thing I did learn on this trip was that you can't get an IPA before noon on Sunday.  Not that I would normally order an IPA before noon (at least during the week), but I do like to keep my options open.  Given the general dislike for alcohol among the local population, I was pleasantly surprised that SLC had even one good brew-pub.  Turns out the other brew-pub downtown is just as good.  We hit the Red Rock Brewing Company for dinner before Rachelle and I headed to the airport for our flight home.  I kind of wish we had gotten there earlier, because I wasn't able to work my way through the entire beer menu.  Next trip.  For anybody in the area looking for a good mini-pizza and tasty brew, Red Rock gets a Kelly-rating of 4 pints out of 5.  

Finally, I know this story is a couple of weeks old, but I'm really curious to learn more about the case of the old man in Florida who was going door-to-door offering free breast exams.  What amazes me more than the guy actually doing this is the fact that there were several women who believed him.  I can't even imagine who would think that could be a good idea.  "Hmmm, I've been meaning to get a breast exam, but I just haven't had the time.  How convenient that somebody will come uninvited to my door to check me out."  I've got to tell you, if a creepy looking dude ever comes to my door saying he's a doctor and is offering free prostate exams, I'm gonna ask for some I.D.  LOTS AND LOTS OF I.D.

No comments: