Sunday, August 28, 2005

Wine Festival


Wine Festival
Originally uploaded by klycolllins.
Rachelle and I hit the 2nd Annual Sacramento Wine and Art Festival yesterday. Nothing better than drinking a lot of wine outside in Sacramento in August. With temperatures hitting 100+ in the shade, not a lot of heavy red wines going down easy. Lots and lots of chardonnay. Not exactly my favorite, but I'd already paid my $20 and I was going to get my money's worth. The wine and art fest was a two-part event for us. Since I painted an accent wall in the living room last week (too much HGTV), Rachelle and I finally decided that four years with nothing on the walls was too much and we thought we might be able to find some good art. Or some bad art that looked better after many, many, many tastings of wine. Did I mention that we took light-rail down so we wouldn't have to moderate our tastings? Anyhoo, no art that reached out and grabbed me. Some really nice pictures, but nothing I felt like hauling back on the light-rail. And lots of really crappy crafts. Even with the heat and lack of fine art for my wall, the wine fest was the good part of my day. I let Rachelle talk me into joining her for a spin class at the gym. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of "spinning", the fine folks at the gym have managed to take a fun and enjoyable activity, i.e., riding a bike, and sucked all of the fun and enjoyable parts out of it, leaving nothing but the sweat, discomfort and exercise. It's like taking another of my favorite things, i.e., cold beer, and removing all the good things about it, like the taste, fizzy sensation and friendly buzz, leaving nothing but the hangover and swollen beer gut. Anyway, the far-too-cheerful spin instructor fires up a thumping soundtrack of bad music (at 9:00 on a Saturday morning), turns off the lights and starts shouting out instructions. "We're going up hill now! Pedal, pedal, pedal! Now we're sprinting!" No, we're sitting in the friggin' dark riding stationary bikes. I made it a grand total of 22 minutes out of an hour class. Possibly the most boring thing I've ever done at the gym. It makes the treadmill seem exciting. I spent the rest of the hour working on my lats, gluts, delts, and biceps. I think. I'm not really sure what any of those are, but every muscle I have is still burning 36 hours later. Ouch.

No comments: