Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Howdy, Pilgrim!"


I had to fly to Orange County this morning. One of the things I like about coming to the 'O.C.' is John Wayne airport. The place is clean, rental cars are on-site and the lounge has decent beer. And it's not LAX. Whatever. So I'm sitting in the lounge and start thinking the deep thoughts that come along with the two Sam Adams drafts. Do people who fly once or twice a year actually look forward to the whole airport/airplane experience? Pontificating from the depths of the lounge, I tried to pick out anybody who looked like they were actually going someplace for "fun". All I saw were different versions of me. Lots of suits, laptops and briefcases. And not a happy looking face to be found. Bummer.

Anyway, the reason I was in L.A. was I had a meeting at a hospital at 9:00. Lucky for me, I stopped for a soda on the way and was running a little late. One of the "patients" took his shoes off in the lobby and the smell made two employees vomit. I can't imagine what kind of stench could cause two seasoned hospital employees (who are used to some nasty things) to get sick. Just REALLY glad I wasn't there. I caught the tail end and it was a tad funky. Thinking of the doctor who actually had to treat the dude put my whole professional world in perspective. Probably 200 people taking their shoes off near me on the way through security, and nobody was foul enough to cause a mass case of the heebie-jeebies. Also, I have yet to visit a hospital that has a decent bar.

No comments: