Saturday, April 08, 2006

Open Mic Night


Open Mic Night
Originally uploaded by klycolllins.
The first Friday of the month is Open Mic Night at It's a Grind. Definitely a weird vibe, a freaky crowd and a diverse mix of talent. I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the music at a small coffee shop on a Friday night. Not a Phoebe in sight ("Smelly cat, smelly cat..."). The overall trend seemed to be that the chicks had decent voices but couldn't play guitar for crap, and the dudes could rock but they were somewhat tuneless vocally. My favorite was the Jesus-looking dude with the jailhouse tats on his knuckles. Not a great voice, but he could rock on the guitar. I'm trying to talk Rachelle into practicing our version of "When The Saints Come Marching In" for next month. I can play a mean harmonica and Rachelle can jam out on the acoustic guitar. OK, everything I play on the harmonica sounds exactly the same, but Rachelle can actually play something recognizable as a "song". It's a forgiving crowd.

No comments: