Saturday, November 12, 2005

Eau de Toilet


Eau de Toilet
Originally uploaded by klycolllins.
It was our fifth anniversary yesterday, so Rachelle and I decided to head down to San Francisco. We both checked Yahoo! weather before we left and the forecast was sunny and mid-60's. Hmmm. Note the umbrella in the picture ($2.99 from a shop in Chinatown). Not really "sunny" per se, but still a great day in the city. First stop, after the $6/hour parking spot, was the Buena Vista for Irish Coffee. If you ever get a chance to visit S.F., make sure you hit the Buena Vista. It's supposed to be the first place in the U.S. to make and serve Irish Coffee, and watching the bartender make it is part of the fun. And the drink rocks. After lunch at a great little place in North Beach (Trattoria Volare), we figured we'd better head back fairly early to beat the Friday traffic out of town. Too late. Apparently, there is no good time to beat the traffic. Anyway, we made it back to Orangevale in time for Bo's dinner, which made him really happy. I'd like to say he missed us, but he was only interested in dinner. And his after dinner treat. Pretty shallow. Once Bo was taken care of, I took Rachelle out for a nice dinner to show my appreciation for her agreeing to marry me. I'd like to put a plug in for the Balcony Bistro in Old Folsom. This place has only been open for a couple of months, and they only have one waiter and about twelve tables, but the chef doesn't seem to have a bad recipe in his cookbook. I would definitely recommend the crab cake appetizer, but I couldn't even begin to tell you what entree to pick. Everything we've had there is outstanding, and it's nothing you will find in any other restaurant in the Sacramento area. Also, the waiter told us that the mimosa's during brunch on the weekend includes free refills. Sweet! All in all, a good anniversary. Five down, forty-five to go. I figure if I make it to our fiftieth, Rachelle will be too senile to cut me loose. Or I'll be too senile to know. Works for me.

1 comment:

Black Hills Locavore said...

Hi again! Prior O'vale-ite here. What did you think of Millions?(noticed on your rotation). We really enjoyed it. There house reminded me of IKEA. There are no IKEAs in South Dakota and now there's one in West Sac. A sad time to leave CA, I'd say.

We'd have to go to Minneapolis to get my bag of 100 tea lights for $5 and feast on swedish meatballs and that weird apple dessert. May be worth the trip for that apple thing...