Saturday, October 15, 2005

YesterFest


YesterFest
Originally uploaded by klycolllins.
Busy, busy day in the Sacramento Valley. Rachelle and I started the day out by walking to Historic Folsom to watch the YesterFest parade. I'm not quite sure what a "YesterFest" is, but it appears to be an excuse for people to break out their finest frontier-wear and coonskin caps. Anyway, it was a very small parade, but fairly entertaining. I'm not sure if we enjoyed the parade more or the fact that there didn't seem to be any advance notice that the roads would be closed. Motorcycle cops rolled up about five minutes before the parade was supposed to start and blocked off the main street through Folsom. Boy-Doggie, there were some irate drivers. I can only imagine the foul language that would be filling the cab of my truck if I got stuck watching the VFW, Boy Scouts, an antique fire truck, a group of people dressed like it was 1849 and a Well's Fargo stagecoach march on by while I'm trying to get to Home Depot/Costco/wherever. But it was a hell of a lot of fun thinking about those drivers as I stood in the middle of the street. Today also marked the start of light-rail service connecting Folsom with downtown Sacramento. Limited service, but it's a start. It seems that the light-rail service to Folsom will only run until 6:34pm. I thought that was a little strange, so I asked one of the (many) RT cops on the train why the schedule was so limited. His understanding was that the fine people of Folsom didn't want any "undesirables", i.e., "poor people" to be haning around town after dark. Nice. They were giving away free cake and ice cream at the YesterFest, but the lines were too long so we grabbed a couple of free all-day passes to ride and headed downtown for lunch. After about three minutes on the light-rail I had a better understanding of (and was much more in agreement with) the decision to limit the train schedule. It's not so much that I don't want the "undesireables" in Folsom, I'd just rather not subject the rest of Sacramento to some of the boobs from Folsom. All in all, aside from the slight delays and sub-zero temperatures on the light-rail, it was a good day. B+.

1 comment:

Black Hills Locavore said...

You know, I never did a search through Blog-dom until today when I decided to see what was up in my hometown of O'vale, CA and I came across your hilarious Blog. I don't even know you but I am sure we'd be friends. We moved in August from Orangevale to Spearfish, SD and we are loving it. Already had eight inches of snow! Enjoyed your 'O'vale Observations' greatly. You should do some restaurant reviews of the finer local dining establishments like Lupitas and that new Thai place on Greenback... keep bloggin'
www.spearfishkanes.blogspot.com