Sunday, March 06, 2005

Mi Casa

Mi Casa

I'm seriously re-thinking my decision to move to California. Growing up in Nebraska, I never had to worry about mowing the lawn in March. Or February. Or any time between October and May or June. The 12-month growing season out here can be a real pain in the ass. On the plus side, I did get to buy a new lawn-mower today. And I got to use my Milwaukee Sawz-All to cut up some stuff in the back yard. Not enough fun to balance out all the manual labor, but it helps.

The county has a dump-day once (supposed to be twice, but who's counting) a year where everybody hauls all of their useless crap to the curb and the dump-trucks come to pick it up. That's assuming anything is left after the scavengers come by at night for all the "good" stuff. The notice we get actually says that nobody's supposed to take your stuff but the trash guys, but I couldn't care less who nabs my crap. I had an entire living room set out on the curb one year that lasted just long enough for me to get back in the house. I heard a car pull up and looked out the window to see a guy loading my 7-foot couch on top of his soft-top Jeep. At least it went to a good home. I don't have anything nearly that good this year, but my guess is 90% of whatever I put out there is gone before the trucks get here.

No comments: